I made a quick berry cake for the husband’s birthday today. I have posted my kids’ birthday cakes on the blog and I simply had to bake a ‘new’ cake for him this year! It was a cake with very little planning. I decided this afternoon, found a lot of fresh strawberries in the fridge and made this simple two-layer, egg-free cake. It is super moist and nobody believed that there was no refined sugar in it, except for the coconut filling. The strawberries were also very ripe and gave it natural sweetness.
There was no time to prepare regular frosting, and besides, we had not planned a party at all! A can of coconut milk came in handy for the “frosting”. Angie and party goers at Fiesta Friday #26, I hope you still have time to enjoy this dessert!
for cake: (makes one 9″ cake)
whole wheat pastry flour- 1 1/2 cup; 204 g (see notes)
baking powder- 1 1/2 tsp.
baking soda- 1/2 tsp.
salt- 1/2 tsp.
fresh/frozen strawberries- about 10; 130 g
pure maple syrup- 1/2 cup; (see notes)
yogurt- 1/2 cup; 100 g
oil- 1/4 cup; 36 g
vanilla extract- 2 tsp.
for filling and ‘frosting’:
coconut cream- 1/3 cup (from the top of a refrigerated can of full-fat coconut milk)
powdered sugar- 2 tbsp.
strawberry preserves- 4 tbsp.
* Pre heat oven to 350 °F. Chop strawberries into small pieces.
* Line a 9″ pan with parchment paper. Grease sides with oil.
* Sift together flour, baking powder, soda and salt in a mixing bowl.
* In another bowl, combine maple syrup, yogurt, oil, vanilla extract.
* Add dry mixture to wet, fold in the strawberries. Pour batter into pan.
* Bake for 50-55 minutes or till a knife inserted in the center comes clean.
* While baking, prepare the filling by combining coconut cream, powdered sugar, strawberry preserves. Chill till cake is cooled.
* Once the layers of cake are cool, spread the filling on one and place the other layer on top. Add more filling on top and decorate.
1. If whole wheat pastry flour is not available, a 50/50 mix of whole wheat and all-purpose flour could be used.
2. Honey could be used in place of maple syrup.