I got you intrigued, didn’t I? 🙂 You may not have imagined that this was going to be a vegan frozen dessert, with really healthy ingredients.
I found this bottle of coconut butter in the food store recently and bought it with glee. What better treat to try with it than butter pecan ice cream? It came out really tasty and creamy, you would not believe that it is vegan. I do not have any objection to regular butter (used in moderation). But I am submitting this recipe to the Virtual Vegan Potluck 2, I went with all plant-based ingredients, and I’m absolutely thrilled with the result! Party-goers at Angie’s Fiesta Friday #24, I come to the party a little early with this guilt-free dessert!
While I’m talking about the recipe for this ice cream, I thought I might as well elaborate on the ingredients. I have used coconut creamer, available in the organic milk section. Regular coconut milk could be used, instead and add extra sugar. I just found this works well in place of cream.
I have also used Spectrum organic shortening and coconut butter instead of regular butter. These sound like exotic ingredients, but there may be similar products or non-vegan versions available locally.
Butter Pecan ice cream
Inspired by veggieonapenny.com
pecans- 3/4 cup + 1/2 cup
coconut butter- 3 tbsp.
coconut milk creamer- 450 ml (or use 1 can coconut milk)
raw sugar- 1/3 cup (I used Demerara, Florida crystals)
salt- 1/4 tsp.
tapioca starch- 2 tbsp. (or use corn starch)
vanilla- 1 tsp.
Spectrum shortening- 2 tbsp.
water- 1/4 cup
* Peel and freeze half a banana. Soak 3/4 cup pecans in water for at least 5 hours.
* Combine coconut creamer, tapioca starch, raw sugar and vanilla extract in a pan on low heat. Stir and let it boil once while the mixture gets thickened. Cool in the fridge.
* Toast 1/2 cup pecans in 1 tbsp. coconut butter. Set aside.
* Drain pecans and blend with 1/4 cup water. Add chopped frozen banana and blend once more. Then combine with the thickened cream, shortening, salt and 2 tbsp. coconut butter and blend in batches.
* Transfer mixture to an ice cream machine and churn according to instructions. Mine took 20 minutes. Towards the end, add toasted pecans and save some for garnish.
* Enjoy right away or freeze in an airtight container.