When I decide to make a soup it is usually just a half hour before dinner time. Something quick, with what is there in the fridge. Yesterday, I saw that there is a new blogging event Soups with SS, set up by blogger friends Shruti @ Cooking with SJ and Sonal @ Simply Vegetarian 777. This was my chance to make a soup and post it!
This soup is inspired by Trader Joe’s carrot -ginger soup. It does not require much time to make; if you used a pressure cooker like I did, you could make it in less than 30 minutes. Usually, heavy cream or milk is added to soups for a creamy effect. For a healthier version, I have used the cream made from raw cashews.
This soup is filled with nutrients. Use organic carrots when possible, so that they do not have to be peeled. All the nutrients reside right under the peel! The potato can be peeled after steaming so that the vitamins and minerals leach into the water used for steaming.
Here is a photo of ginger and pressure-cooked carrots/potato.
Stirring in the cashew cream- yummy!
carrot ginger soup with cashew cream
organic carrots- 1 lb
organic potato- 1 small
onion- 1 small
ginger- 1 1/2 inch piece, peeled
cashew cream- 3-4 tbsp.
coriander powder- 1 tsp.
fresh ground pepper- to taste
salt- to taste
butter/coconut oil- 1 tbsp.
* Soak about 1/4 cup cashews in very hot water.
* Wash carrots and potato thoroughly. Roughly chop and use a steamer or pressure cooker to steam till tender. I used a pressure cooker (3-4 whistles).
* While the veggies are steaming, chop an onion and saute (till it turns translucent) in 1 tbsp. of butter (or coconut oil for vegan version) in a heavy bottomed pan.
* Chop ginger and peel the steamed potato. Use a blender to puree it together.
* Drain water from cashews and blend in a small blender/spice grinder along with some water to make cashew cream.
* Transfer pureed carrots into the same pan used above, add the remaining water from steamer/cooker vessel. Add additional 2 cups of water.
* Add coriander powder, salt and fresh ground pepper. Bring to a boil. Stir in cashew cream and boil once more.
* Serve hot and enjoy!