I do have minimalist ideas often, but this would be a dream come true for a health-conscious baker and a minimalist- making a cookie with just 2 ingredients. Well, here’s a recipe for one, with only nuts and raw sugar. I’m not counting water as an ingredient 🙂 I know you’re thinking “this girl has gone nuts!”
Nutrition experts believe that it is best to consume nuts after “activating” them or soaking them in water for a while. This removes the phytates and tannins which are considered anti-nutrients. The water used for soaking needs to be discarded after that. So, that’s how I prepared the nuts for the cookies.
Sharing this at VVLP 16 at Anne’s blog An Unrefined Vegan.
Preparation time: 4 hours to soak, 10 minutes to prep and 18 minutes to bake. This makes about 18 small cookies.
whole raw cashews- 1/2 cup
raw pistachios- 1/2 cup
powdered raw sugar- 1/4 cup
* Soak cashews and pistachios in water for at least 4 hours. Drain water and grind the nuts in a blender along with the powdered sugar without adding any water. It will not grind into a fine paste, but the partially ground nuts in the mix give a nice crunchy texture.
* Pre-heat oven to 350 °F
* Roll the nut mixture into small balls with hands and place on a baking sheet lined with parchment paper. Flatten into discs.
* Bake for 18 minutes. Bake for a 2-3 minutes more if you want very crisp cookies. Cool on a wire rack.
* If you need to add water to grind the nuts, the dough will be sticky. Some cornstarch/ tapioca starch may be added to make it firmer.
* Any mixture of nuts could be used with this recipe. If raw sugar is not available, brown sugar or confectioner’s sugar would work.
* Cardamom powder can be added for flavor.
Related post: https://eatingwelldiary.wordpress.com/2013/12/18/gluten-free-maple-millet-press-cookies/