This is by far the best combination I have had in a salad- beans with a green dressing containing ginger. The beans add protein and substance to the salad and ginger counteracts any of the gas produced by the beans. My awesome sister-in-law gave me the idea for this dressing.
I used kidney beans and sprouted black-eyed peas and northern beans this time, but any beans can be added. Look here for sprouting tips.
cooked beans- 3 cups
chopped Romaine lettuce- from one bunch
chopped green onion- 4 (discard top portion of leaves and root)
grated carrot- 1/2 cup
cilantro- 1 bunch (discard thick stems)
peeled ginger- 1 inch piece
large lime- 1
extra-virgin olive oil- 1 tbsp.
salt- to taste
* Soak the beans separately overnight and allow 24-40 hours for sprouting. I have not had luck sprouting kidney beans, but the others yield sprouts that can be stored in the fridge till the salad needs to be made.
* Cook all the beans together in a pressure cooker/pan till soft. Add salt to the cooked beans and mix well.
* Add ginger, coriander, juice from the lime and olive oil to a blender and process till smooth.
* Add the chopped green onions in the dressing and allow to sit till the other ingredients are ready.
* Toss all the ingredients together in a mixing bowl.